Interested in Adoption?
Due to the high volume of applications we receive on a daily basis, we are unable to answer everyone individually. We do review all applications and will contact you if you are a good match. Therefore, it can take several weeks or it can take months. If you desire to adopt quickly, we suggest you adopt from your local animal shelter. Thank you for your understanding.
We are a 100% volunteer organization, and we strive to work through a large number of emails and applications as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience and understanding! Please read through the information on our website thoroughly before submitting your application. If you have a question that has not been answered here, please feel free to contact us!
As you consider the adoption of a rescued Boston, please stop and give some thought to the following: Are you looking for a very young Boston Terrier with the true breed standard appearance who is in excellent health and is exceptionally well-behaved? If your answer is yes, it is important for you to realize that while some dogs have all these attributes, the majority do not. If you are seeking the "perfect" Boston, a rescued Boston will probably not meet your expectations and may not be the dog you are looking for. However, if you truly want to open your heart and home to a less-than-perfect Boston Terrier who will love you like no other, please see our list of most deserving Bostons who need a family like yours!
Application fee: BTRNC has found it necessary to institute a $20.00 non-refundable Adoption Application fee. This fee will be applied to our ever-increasing veterinary costs and other expenses related to saving Boston Terriers. The fee should also help ensure the commitment of applicants to adopting so that our volunteers focus their time and efforts on those applicants of serious intent.
Applicants must meet the following requirements in order to be eligible to adopt a Boston Terrier:
- Be 21 years of age
- Have a valid driver's license or another form of identification such as a passport or military ID.
- Provide a copy of the lease and proof of pet deposit if renting
- Have the signature of all adults in the household on the application
- NOT HAVE an electronic/invisible fence or employ the use of shock collars for containment or training
- Have ALL CURRENT PETS spayed/neutered and up to date on vaccinations
- Understand that Boston Terriers must be INDOOR DOGS and are not to be tied or chained outside.
- Have children over 5 years of age. Applicants with children under 5 years of age will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Be ready for the financial/time commitment and responsibility necessary to adopt a Boston Terrier into their home. For example, many Bostons are high energy and require the owner to provide them more exercise than would be needed for some of the other breeds.
- Understand that our adoption process takes several weeks to complete and includes application screening, vet check, and a home visit.
- Realize that our dogs may have been traumatized before coming to BTRNC and may undergo an adjustment period in a foster or new home. Patience and understanding are a MUST when dealing with rescued dogs.
- Have Never been charged with or convicted of any crime related to the neglect or cruelty of animals.
- Understand that filling out this application does not guarantee that it will be approved or that the Boston that is desired will be the one placed in the home. Sometimes it is a combination of circumstances that make a home unsuitable for the Boston Terrier.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Bostons reside in the homes of our volunteers; therefore, we have no facility for viewing.
We do consider adoption out of this area for seniors, special-needs Bostons, and pairs of Bostons who must stay together. The applicant must be close enough to do a one-day ground transport.
Please complete the application found on our website. By far, the best way for you to be considered is for us to have each question answered accurately and completely on the application.
We receive a tremendous number of inquiries and applications, so we cannot respond to all of them. If you do not hear from us within 2-4 weeks of sending your application, it is because we either do not have a dog that meets your specifications or we have concluded that adopting a Boston from us is not appropriate.
If everything is in order on your application and we have or expect to have a Boston terrier that meets your specifications, our adoption coordinator will contact you to further review and discuss your application. She will also contact the vet you provided for a reference. A home visit may be completed by one of our volunteers to meet you and evaluate your home for placement.
Some of the factors that influence this process are whether we have a Boston that meets your needs at the time you apply, the location of your home, the availability of volunteers to do a home visit, etc. Therefore, it can take only a couple of weeks or it can take months. If you desire to adopt quickly, we suggest you adopt from your local animal shelter.
The adoption fee is used to pay for the complete veterinary checkup, microchipping, spaying or neutering, heartworm testing, vaccinations, and other medical care needed by the Bostons we rescue. It also includes a leash, harness, and appropriate ID tags. Fees applicable as of January 1, 2011, are as follows:
Puppies 8 months of age and younger - $400
All dogs 8 months old to 8 years of age - $350
Senior dogs 8 years of age and older - $200